Happy National Sloppy Joe Day!
There seems to be a national day for just about everything anymore. Today is no different. But I can really get into National Sloppy Joe Day.
So who am I to deny my family the privilege to celebrating? I just have to oblige and take part! So I know exactly what dinner will be, and I know that it will be gobbled up this evening, even by the picky 4-year-old!
But I can’t just grab a can these days. Regular sloppy joe sauce (the name brand that everyone knows) contains a couple of ingredients that just don’t jive with me anymore: corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup. Both of these drive inflammation and cause visceral fat accumulation (visceral fat surrounds your organs and is the worst type of body fat). They are also associated with an increased risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer. No thank you!
And honestly, it really is super easy to make from scratch. It doesn’t call for any obscure ingredients and it whips up pretty fast. And if you pair it with some Keto biscuits, Perfect Keto Bread or Cloud Bread for the bun, you have a perfect, celebratory Keto dinner!
All you have to do is brown some ground beef or venison with some onions and garlic. When that’s done, throw in some tomato paste, beef bone broth some spices and let it simmer. Once the sauce has thickened, you’re ready to eat! Super simple, only one pan to clean, and everyone is happy!
Keto Sloppy Joes
- 2 lbs ground beef or venison
- 4 tbsp chopped onion
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 3/4 cup homemade beef bone broth
- 1 tbsp Swerve, confectioners
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut vinegar
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/8 tsp ground white pepper
- In a large pan on medium heat, brown the ground beef or venison with the onion and garlic.
- Once browned, add in all of the other ingredients. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Enjoy with some cloud bread for a yummy dinner!